1/6/09

Everyone is a Hero.

If you could be a hero to everyone you come in contact with during your daily life, what would that look like? I suppose, using the Socratic method, you would have to have a definition of hero. Perhaps you could use the dictionary, or some combination of the book definition and a historical or mythological figure by which to judge what is and isn't heroic. But regardless of some external definition of the word, a hero is what we believe a hero to be. 
We all choose our own heros. George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Harriet Tubman, Sister Theresa, Ayn Rand, Martin Luther King, all have heroic qualities few would dispute. They are the greats of history, literature, human rights, and charity. But there are many other unsung heros that go about their day giving of themselves. Most don't realize they're doing it.
To consider the people we hold in high esteem for their accomplishments begs the question of, who holds us in high esteem. I watch my kids, and I can tell you that even though she would never admit it my daughter's hero is her older brother. How about those teachers that inspired you. I'm 42, and just finished a masters program, and there were professors who I consider my heros. They helped and inspired me to be better. They gave their gifts. 
I met a woman yesterday that had some extraordinary circumstances, yet she started her own business. Her business, Busi-ants, is a fantastic idea. She frees people of some of the drudgery of doing business, like billing, or balancing the checkbook, so that owners can concentrate on more profitable endeavors. Her story is courageous. Heroic? Yes. Her situation is not unique. Everyday ordinary people do ordinary things that make everyones' lives better. Isn't that what heroism is all about? Making people's lives better?
Now, we may make the distinction between getting paid value for value or giving our gifts freely without expectation. But when we give our gifts freely, do we really get nothing in return? Does the feeling one gets from helping out not constitute some form of payment? I believe people should be paid for their gifts if they create value for me. It's one of the beautiful things about capitalism. We have a medium of exchange that allows us to trade our physical and intellectual gifts with each other. But there is something else besides money, and that's the satisfaction of knowing you helped. Either way, payment is payment. 
"Everyone is a Hero" is a phrase I came up with on the spur of the moment. Even though I wasn't thinking about it at the time, I have come to realize that it is a statement of thanks. I am so fortunate to have so many great people around me. From my parents to that teacher in third grade who inspired me to be an artist, to the waitress at Venice Coffee House, and almost everyone in between I give thanks. How long would this post be if I listed them all? Nevertheless, heros, every single one.
As for the person who asked me about the origin of the phrase I had printed on my contact card, this is what I'm talking about. Simply by asking the question, you helped me be a better person, because when I put that phrase on the card, I hadn't given it much thought.  Did you think you weren't a hero before you asked?  I say that if these four words, "Everyone is a Hero,"can change how we think of ourselves and what we do everyday, the world will be a better place. 

No comments: